Followers

Scrappy and Happy in Ohio~

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner

To Do List

Sew rows on Happy Hour Quilt
Finish No-Sew Quilt
Jacket ( button)
Shorts (mend)
Shirt (mend)
Khris Bag(start)
Peg's Bag(start)



Who links to me?

This Blog is...

This blog is Betty approved

My Memes

My Trophy Case

See My Widgets

Blog 365

Picturing Life

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hop Over to Cricket's Hearth

Cricket's Hearth

Go Chuck~

Foster Me Up

QVC Ring

QVC-Ohio

Mystery Quilters

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com

Blog-A-Mama

Blog-A-Holics

Small Is Beautiful

The Small Is Beautiful Manifesto

Blog Guilt Free

Live, Laugh, Love

Live, Laugh, Love

You comment; I reply.

Star

Blog Designed by:

Photobucket

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

To pray or not to pray...that is the question.

Ours is not a straight forward path and although we hope to be progressing forward all the while amidst the twists and turns, life is one adventure after the other. While in some of life's transition periods we seems to sail beautifully, there are those that knock us flat and cause us to crawl. It is our determination to never quit that pushes us to make it through whether we find ourselves sailing or crawling.

My recent transitions put me through one of the worst years of my adult life. When things got particularly difficult, I stopped blogging and spent a large part of my time crying out to God. He alone sustains me. It is not that I am without love here on this earth; I am, in fact, quite blessed to be loved by many and blessed to return that love.

One would think that I would have long ago learned to be cautious in my personal prayer life, yet I sometimes forget that when I ask my Lord to do something for me that He definately has wisdom that I do not understand nor appreciate during the times He is working a change in ME. So, he does not change. I do. And, its always a difficult struggle.

My case in point is this: Having come to the realization that when faced with any dilemna my first reaction was to "handle it myself" and I called on Him only after I had struggled and pushed myself to exhaustion,frustration, tears, and even anger-then and only then would I look to the hills from whence my help cometh. I finally became so very tired of this cycle, that I cried out to Him, "Heavenly Father, draw closer to me!"

I also forgot His sence of humor. Reaching out in His infinate love, He allowed many circumstances to arise in my life that gave ME the chance to choose the old methods of coping or a new way-His way. I began calling on Him FIRST! Not only is He the One who saved me from hell, but He is my Savior all day every day. He saves me from every single thing I ask Him to.

The name of the Lord is a strong tower the righteous run into and they are saved.
Those words are His promise to each and everyone of us and He likes it when we remind Him of His promises...that shows we know what they are and Who He Is.

I call on His name, having been made righteous by the blood of Jesus, and tell him what I need to be saved from. That list has ranged from pain to desperation. He saves me from depression, self-pity, fear, anger, frustration, my distorted self-image, my racing mind, bouts of sleeplessness, from lack of anything, anxiety, feelings of unworthiness, hopelessness, old coping mechanisms, and other old self-destructive habits including the need to fix everything for everyone.

What joyous freedom! I have the peace that passes all understanding that the Bible talks about and so few of us ever experience enjoying. Calling on Him first goes against our human nature and everything we are taught by strong, self-sufficient, determined mothers who lack the deep intimate knowledge of Him and Who He is. This is not a condemnation merely my own observation. My own mother died at the tender age of 58, worn out to the point of exhaustion mentally, physically, and spiritually because she didn't know the height, width, and breadth of His love.

Not having a God-like father has cheated many of us of the joy of a man who is safe and simply adores us all the while teaching us of life and God Himself. I have come to know that my parents did the best they could. I hold no anger toward either of them. I also know that I am one of the blessed ones. I got it!

God has wooed me since childhood and while I will pray more cautiously from now on, I will continue to pray. He is the love of my life, the joy of my soul, the creator of all that is good...even when it means He has to allow me to struggle. And for that I find myself grateful to Him.

Photobucket Image Hosting

3 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Great posting,and yes he does chalenge us to see how we react.

Unknown said...

Hi Phyl,
I enjoyed reading this post and was uplifted by your introspective view of your relationship with God . . . I hope you don't mind me writing what I have to constantly repeat in my head . . . God grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference . . . although that is only half of the prayer, it is what sticks in my mind the most. God bless you
Prayerfully with big hugz
Pam

Unknown said...

Very touching.

It is so GREAT to hear from you.